- 1 box of Explore Cuisine Black Bean Spaghetti
- 16 button mushrooms
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter (vegan if needed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup thickened cream (vegan if needed)
- 3 oz parmesan cheese (vegan if needed)
- ½ bunch fresh thyme
- Prepare mushroom skulls by cutting the mushrooms in half and then puncturing holes for eyes into the mushrooms.
- Place a large pot of water with salt on the stove ready to bring to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- In a large non-stick frying pan melt the butter with olive oil over medium heat. When the butter is foaming place mushrooms in the pan cut side down, skull faces up.Do not crowd the pan as the mushrooms will stew and not brown.
- Cook mushrooms until browned and caramelized on their undersides. Flip mushrooms over and cook for no more than a minute. Remove from the frying pan, place on a plate, and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan the mushrooms were cooked in, add the remaining ½ tablespoon of butter. Add onions to the pan and cook over medium low heat until soft and translucent. Once the onions are soft and translucent, add garlic, white wine, cream and parmesan cheese to the pan and continue to cook for another few minutes until the sauce reduces slightly and thickens.
- When your pasta is done cooking, add it to the pan with the sauce. Add in your cooked Mushroom Skulls and finish off with some extra cheese. Enjoy!