- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 2 3/4 cups plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 packet of plant-based bacon or pork
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat the onions, let cook for about 60 seconds, then whisk in all of the remaining ingredients. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until thickened, whisking as needed. If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash more plant-based milk, and if the sauce is too thin, cook it longer.
- Meanwhile cook the plant-based bacon/pork according to packet instructions
- Combine the pasta, bacon and carbonara sauce together.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and black pepper.